Furnaces have been operating overtime in order to combat frigid weather, which likely has led to an increase in heating bills. By taking some simple steps, homeowners can reduce their costs without sacrificing warmth.
– Open the blinds on the south side of your home during sunny days, but keep the blinds closed on cloudy days and at night.
– Use a programmable thermostat and set it to 68 degrees Fahrenheit when you’re at home and 65 degrees when sleeping or away.
– Turn off non-essential lights, appliances, electronic and other equipment.
– Postpone, whenever possible, using electric appliances such as dishwashers, dryers and cooking equipment during on-peak or mid-peak price periods.
– Check to see that weather stripping around your doors, fireplace dampers and attic hatches are in place and intact.
– Check your furnace filter and replace immediately if needed.
– Keep supply and return air vents clear of furniture and appliances so your furnace can work more efficiently.