Nothing throws a monkey wrench (no pun intended) into your daily life faster than a plumbing problem in the kitchen. From a leaky faucet to a clogged garbage disposal, unexpected issues in the most-used room of the house can wreak havoc on your schedule and your wallet.
To troubleshoot problems before they turn into large and costly repairs, Roto-Rooter offers the following maintenance tips:
Prevent Leaky Faucets
Keep your faucet in optimal functioning condition by removing lime build-up and sediment from its aerator. To do so:
– Unscrew the aerator from the faucet by turning it counterclockwise.
– Take the aerator or spray head apart.
– Remove sediment using a small brush dipped in vinegar.
– Reassemble and screw the aerator back on to the faucet.
Avoid Clogged Drains
The following best practices will help prevent a clogged kitchen sink:
– Be selective about what goes in your garbage disposal. Never put hard-to-grind, stringy or fibrous waste down the garbage disposal. That means no poultry skin, carrots, celery or banana peels.
– Run cold water down the drain for 15 seconds both before and after using your garbage disposal.
– Never pour liquid grease down the drain. Instead, let it solidify a bit, then wipe it from your pots and pans with a paper towel, which you then dispose of in the trash.
Maintain Your Garbage Disposal
Keep your garbage disposal clog and odor free with these simple steps:
– Grind citrus peels or ice cubes in the disposal for about 30 seconds.
– With the disposal running, pour in a small amount of dish detergent.
– Rinse away remaining debris by running cold water for 30 seconds.