Nothing kills spring and summer fun faster than a swarm of mosquitos. These bitey bugs are more than just an itchy annoyance – they can also carry disease. Orkin recommends the following tips to help residents protect against mosquitoes:
Eliminate Mosquito-Friendly Conditions in and Around Your Yard
– Remove standing water buckets, toys and other containers, as mosquitoes can breed in just an inch of standing water.
– Change water weekly in bird baths, fountains, potted plants and any containers that hold standing water.
– Keep pool water treated and circulating.
– Regularly clean gutters so water doesn’t pool.
– Trim shrubbery, as adult mosquitoes like to rest in dark areas with high humidity, such as under the leaves of lush vegetation.
Prevent Mosquitoes from Biting
– Wear loose-fitting, long-sleeved shirts and long pants. Mosquitoes can bite through tight clothing.
– Apply an EPA-registered mosquito repellent containing products such as DEET, picaridin or 1R3535.
Eliminate Entry Points
-Repair and use window and door screens to help prevent entry.
– Close gaps around windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from getting inside.