Fall is the perfect time of year to tackle home improvement projects, especially those that enhance existing features or add new functions to your home. This season, consider making cost-conscious upgrades, such as:
1. Revitalizing worn woodwork – Nothing ages a home’s appearance faster than tired, weathered woodwork on the front porch or back deck. Apply a fresh coat of stain or paint to your outdoor woodwork to breathe new life back into your home’s exterior.
2. Updating kitchen cabinetry – Rather than spend a fortune on new cabinetry, give your existing cabinets a facelift. After a thorough wipe-down, apply a coat of paint and install new hardware – simply changing out dated pulls for more contemporary versions can completely update the look of your kitchen.
3. Adding power supply – Adding function can be as valuable as aesthetic appeal. To prepare for fall’s unpredictable climate, consider installing a standby generator for the appliances in your home, such as refrigerators and washing machines and dryers.
4. Replacing lighting – Changing up the lighting can completely transform a space. Use window treatments to control natural light, and floor and table lamps for subtle task lighting.
5. Installing a new floor – Replace heavily worn carpet in high traffic areas with a more durable option, such as wood or tile. Or, consider removing and replacing grout on tile floors, then sealing the floor to protect the finish.